Thursday, August 28, 2008

Brief Thought on Obama's Speech

I said this over on m-pyre, where we've been live blogging the speech all evening, but I thought I'd repeat my initial thoughts on Barack Obama's speech here. What I LOVED about this speech is 29 policy changes in one speech. What has driven me nuts about Democratic campaigns since it became abundantly clear that the Bush administration was an atrocity is that the platform has been seemingly, "Well, at least we're not THEM." Democrats were good at giving people reasons to not vote for Bush, but lousy at giving them reasons to vote for Kerry. "We're not them," is not a platform - it's not even a plank. This was the difference tonight. There were plenty of reasons not to vote for McCain, but even more reasons to vote for Obama. An actual platform was presented.