Thursday, October 16, 2008

So...about that debate...

Before I get to a wrap up of the live blogging of the debate on m-pyre, I thought I'd give some just gut reactions (OK, things I ranted about for a full 15 minutes before I went to bed). McCain is going to rue several comments in the next 20 days. One, the "health" of the mother air quote combo, which will upset not only undecided women voters, but also men. husbands and partners of women of childbearing age. Because in the situation where it comes between the baby's life or the mother's, the mother is many times incapacitated, and it's the father that has to make that heart-wrenching decision. And that snide, flippant comment just turned their stomachs. He will also rue referring to Obama's responses as "eloquent." Used as McCain used it, it became an epithet, or even an obvious substitution for a bad word he really wanted to say. And you could tell. Every time. And then there was the part where he pretty much implied that Ayers and ACORN wouldn't have been brought up at all if Obama had just agreed to those town hall meetings. "I don't care about some washed-up old terrorist," McCain said. Really? Then why bring it up? And does that mean it won't be brought up again, and those ads will go away? Have you sent that memo to your running mate? And then there was the general talking over and interrupting of Obama, the sighs and the snorting during his comments. It all goes back to the disrespect we talked about before. Yes, Obama may have chuckled incredulously a couple of times, but he did bring up that stupid overhead projector again, even after it was explained that it wasn't the kind used in schools where a teacher writes with a dry erase marker, but a giant piece of sophisticated machinery used to educate people about the universe. McCain is lucky he didn't earn an outright guffaw. That being said, what did our live bloggers over at m-pyre say? I'm not exactly sure what to expect from McCain, but I fully expect it to be different from both his first and second performances. McCain's going to use the phrase 'middle class' as much as possible tonight... got reamed for that last week Obama looks beyond tired and I think he has always been weaker when he sits during a debate. Is this Joe Six Pack or Joe Plumber? Nah, it's Joe Butt Crack. third time we've heard the same tax argument. boring. Can I speak as the wife of Joe the electrician that the Joe referencing is wearing on me? how is the U.S. supposed to pay for its debt if we don't pay taxes? How 'bout cut this war?! Maddow is right. He needs to make the point that JM is lying about him, and quit saying, "I'm not raising taxes." This goes back to the critique we've all raised since Debate 1, wanting Obama to straight-on confront JM about lying, and he won't do it. During the Depression, which I remember vividly because I'm ancient ... Maggie, I think he could civilize himself right out of the race. There's still 20 days, and he needs to be specific. And this is the last time he can do it to McCain's face. I'm watching ABC, and the split screen kills me with the smirking while B.O. is talking. Strong statement from JM r.e. Bush. Commercial in the make already? He has got to stop giving McCain props. McCain *never* gives him props. Pookie, those scars aren't from the Senate. Those were from when you were a POW. Remember? OK, McCain spends 3-to-1 on negative ads compared to Obama, and that point deserves to be made here JM: "I regret these negative attacks and will feel slightly bad when I urge my rallies to lynch Obama tomorrow afternoon" Wait a minute - ads about your policies ARE NOT out of line. Those are about the issues. Hinting that Obama is a terrorist is something else entirely. Ooh, LOVE that Obama's taking JM and SP on for not doing anything to the "kill him!" folks in their audiences Yeah McCain is freaking out right now, and interrupting. Uh oh, did JM almost say "breast?" So far, John McCain has given us "freth of bresh air" and "nuclear pants." I totally want some nuclear pants. BS's questions are great bc of their specificity. "my friend" !!!! I missed you!! Does he not realize that some of the Joes out there find him arrogant???? A friend of mine just IM'ed me asking if I thought McCain was blinking in code?! Morse code, I'm not familiar with...so I had to shrug my shoulders. I can't BELIEVE I didn't do a "Joe" count Sad? John just said he was a Federalist, and somewhere, Palin gasped and said, "But we're on the Republican ticket!" OMG did BO just bring up Lily Ledbetter! I LOVE him! We SO must have a smart president! McCain already had single-issue abortion voters locked up. Why even go there? Maggie: He's been engaging in the biggest mistake the past few weeks - igniting your base, but nobody else. Obama believes that children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. ..Give them a sense of pride.... Way to end the debate with a hearty snort. Why does he keep bringing up autism? Simple Trig has Downs. You know, I still don't think JM has said 'middle class.' I was dead wrong on that one. I was wondering that, too, Bethany. Maybe JM thinks autism and DS are the same condition. Rachel Maddow: I can't be sure I didn't miss a mention... and there was that moment when my audio went buh-bye... but as far as I can tell -- I think that McCain's just made his way through all three presidential debates without saying the phrase "middle class". omg Rachel Maddow and I said the same thing!!!! I'm sorry - when I hear the phrase "future of the children," or "children are our future," I automatically go all Whitney. Mr. Presidential 3, Old Lawn Guy 0, Bob Schieffer 1 Can someone give me context on the '"Find bad teachers another line of work" another line of work comment? On the one hand, I've taught with a couple (most of my co-workers are awe-inspiringly good) who definitely needed to find a new line of work... MB or Bethany, if you're still online... can you help out Saleem? I was actually in the other room during that line. Yeah, sorry - I was trying to get health insurance quotes on a white male, birthdate 8-1936, history of cancer. So I just now saw that question. I think you can go here to get a running transcript, though: http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS...ript/ index.html