Friday, December 5, 2008

Know Your Blogger: Amy Severson

So, I'm sure you've gotten multiple opportunities to read Steve's Know Your Blogger, which Blogger inexplicably posted four times, and then wouldn't let me delete. Today's Know Your Blogger blogger is the delightful Amy Severson. And if you'd like to join the phalanx of bloggers who've answered five easy questions, hurry up and e-mail me already - or I'll post more pictures of shoes and purses. Name: Amy S. Blog: The Dallas Cookbook
1) In what general area of Dallas do you live? For almost 20 years I've lived on the same lot in North Dallas, listening to LBJ Freeway when the windows are open.
2) Before blogging what the heck did you do with yourself? What are you doing now? At age 10 my mother handed me her sales receipt book and asked me to add it up. Ever since I've loved counting (money) - some might say I'm pretty quick with a 10-key. Today I own Sevy's Grill with my husband, Sevy. You won't see me down at the restaurant very often, as I'm the accountant (or I prefer "Office Wench") and there is insufficient space for all the paperwork that the business generates.
3) 2 things people don't know about you? 1) My nickname at Sevy's is "Mommy", when I call and say "it's Amy" everyone assumes it's the other Amy. 2) I sleep with my boss (nightly) for career advancement. 3) I'm talented at fixing toilets that are clogged or running. Whoops you said 2 - well pick which ones.
4) Last 5 books you read, what are you reading now, what will you read next? Last 5? I confess I never involved myself with sports because growing up I always had a book attached to my hands. So asking for the last 5 is like asking what I've read in the past 2 weeks. Some are more like entrees, sometimes you put down your knife and fork and chew: "The Age of Turbulence" by Alan Greenspan, "The Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama; some teach you recipes like a cookbook: "Dog Training For Dummies" by Jack and Wendy Volhard; and some are like dessert: all 4 of the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, "Sweet Savage Love" by Rosemary Rogers. Right now I'm re-reading "The Coming Economic Collapse, How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel", by Stephen Leeb, PhD - skip to page 95, that's where our economy is now. Next on my stack is "Hot, Flat and Crowded" by Thomas Friedman, but it might get bumped by "Dark Fires" (again Rosemary Rogers).
5. Best advice ever given you? Everything my dad ever told me - I wish I had followed more of it. And a piece of advice I started giving myself when my husband was diagnosed with inoperable cancer 1 1/2 years ago: "Take a big bite of life - every day."
My question for readers: Josh Hixson over at Park Cities People called my blog "2 parts funny and 1 1/2 parts useful." Is this a good thing?